What To Do/See
- Self-drive the Golden Circle (map below from iheartreykjavik)
- Gullfoss Waterfall
- Dive Silfra (nvm - must be certified)
- Solheimajokull (ice cave)
- Plane crash site (maybe)
- Reynisfjara (blocks blocks blocks and black sand)
- Vestrahorn (5.5 hours from Reykjavik)
Vatnajökull National Park
- Fjallsárlón (glacier!)
- Seljalandsfoss (1.5 hours from Reykjavík)
- Skogafoss (2 hours from Reykjavík)
- Kvernufoss (hidden waterfall near Skogafoss)
- Gljúfurárfoss (hidden - maybe)
Nice to Know
- Good morning = Góðan dag
- Emergency number is 112
- A regular U.S. credit card even without the pin should be okay in most places.
- A U.S. divers license is okay to rent a car.
- Rain jacket
- Waterproof hiking boots
- Old school paper maps sounds like something still used for Iceland trips!
- Waterproof camera gear
- Get a sim card
- Get a gas card for unmanned gas stations
- Meet some awesome people!
- Pet a horse with awesome hair =)
- Apparently the hot dogs are a must try (any suggestions on favorite place?)
- Where is the most reliable place to rent a car?
- How difficult is it to find gas stations when not in the city? Is there an app for this?
- How do I know if the water where I am is drinkable?
Please feel free to share any tips you have on anything listed above, recommend something to add, advice for a first timer or share your stories!
My travel style is budget but comfort and willing to spend if the experience is worth it - scuba dive, sky dive, ATV. I'm not really into the "nightlife" unless it's looking at stars. More of a nature explorer than a city wanderer - waterfalls, hikes, swimming holes, glaciers.
Self-diving map of the Golden Circle with additional stop points by I Heart Reykjavik!
Helpful Resources So Far
And many thanks to those commenting here and on Facebook!